Recently I had the opportunity to be a part of a panel discussion for an international conference in petroleum refining and manufacturers. The panel discussion was focused on "establishing long term memory via microlearning training. Sorry I couldn't get a better pic, but in that image I'm at the top left. We had about 50 folks attend and in terms of microlearning it was fun and hopefully engaging.
What surprises me is how worried I get before panel discussions.
I'm not a newbie at presentations. I give presentations quite often. I think the difference is that panel discussions are so freeform and can go in so many different direcitons that there is alot of variability and you have to stay on your toes. The good news about panels is that whenever things feel like they might get off track it's as easy as pie to say, "Hey Vince, you care to field that question first?" So it's easy to stall for time.
In the last three panel discussions I've had I have been thrust into the role of moderator too. In most cases this happens naturally, in that the moderator just doesn't show. In the one I had today the moderators system reset and he was absent for the first five minutes. So, up steps Dick to ask questions and answer them at the same time.
All in all it was great, and several people in the audience reached out to let me know they really enjoyed the discussion. So, alls well that ends well. Plus it keeps me on my toes for my comprehensive exams that come at the end of my PhD course work!

No comments:
Post a Comment