Monday, August 30, 2021

This Years Ridiculous Bet

 Three years ago my wife and I made a bet. Whoever could pick the Super Bowl winning team before the season started would win a ridiculous bet. I said the Patriots. She said the Seahawks. The payoff for me was that she would have to buy me a motorcycle. The payoff for her was that I would have to get a tattoo. Turns out I lost when the Eagles won over the Patriots in that strange Super Bowl that everyone thought the Patriots would win. 

The next year we did it again. I picked the Patriots again. That year I won. 

This time around, the bet is slightly different. I think if I was going to pick the Super Bowl winner I might pick the Bucs again. They're bringing back all of their starters. Instead the bet is about our Houston Texans. 

My bet . . . they don't win a single game. The payoff . . . she has to buy me the Jeep she made me get rid of so many years ago. I used to have a '97 Jeep Wrangler rag top with a manual transmission. I loved that sucker. We got rid of it when we had kiddos. If the Texans go 0-17, then she has to go get me that Jeep again. 

I think the Texans can do it. I put my predictions here (see here) so I remember them, well, consider this a stake in the ground. They have absolutely no stars player anymore, no Watt, no Watson, no Hopkins. They have no heart or soul in the team, it's a team made up of older journeymen trying to prove something. A bunch of individuals. They do have quite a running back corps, but they're all old. 

I think the key is that first game against the Jags. If they lose that I have a chance. That's the one game I'm worried about . . . even then I think the Jags are favored (see here). CBS has predicted the Texans go 1-16 (see here) . . . only winning against the Jets. My prediction is that the team will get worse and worse so that by the time they get to the Jets in Week 12, the team will be decimated. There has been a lot of chatter about the Texans O-line and the Texans Defense. I'm not buying it. I think my team can implode and be the first team ever to go 0-17. 

And if they do? Well then my garage will get even more crowded with trophies. 


No comments: