Monday, April 25, 2022

Float Trip Life

My study buddy Andrew and I were discussing stages of adult development and the theory that age can motivate and push adults along development tracks. That age can make adults more willing and eager to reach different developmental stages. Sort of like the horizon is coming closer so adults want to hurry and make things happen. 


Although it was interesting to hear his thoughts, I don't see the same things he experiences in his life. His thoughts were that he is seeing that same shortening of time push him forward and motivate him. 

Kegan and Lahey (1984) wrote about adult development. In their chapter, they discuss how the constructivist theory for adult development does not necessarily link age to adult development stages, but rather people respond to "changing conditions of life" and "according to their meaning system" (p. 202). 

This appealed to me because so often throughout my life I have been behind my friends and colleagues in different areas. I didn't enter the workforce until several years after my friends, I was late joining the military, I'm later than most in my class in getting a Ph.D. 

Late of course is subjective, but age has not made me follow prescribed, perceived stages, nor has my age made me take things more seriously, nor has it motivated me to meet time horizons or hurry along at all. I'm still treating my job much like a hobby and letting the current take me down the river and see where it takes me rather than actively seeking out ways to change the course or direction. 

Reference

Kegan, R., & Lahey, L. L. (1984). Adult leadership and adult development: A constructivist view. Leadership: Multidisciplinary perspectives, 199-230.

No comments: