Will and I get along very well. I love Will as a study buddy and friend. So I'm not at all surprised that he and I noted the exact same line of text in our reading this week.
"Self-authored individuals have the interpersonal capacities to be genuinely interdependent; this requires the ability to understand and show respect for others' perspectives (and where they come from). To be interdependent requires one to acknowledge differences without being threatened by them, to be willing to try to negotiate differences in the service of mutuality or of a greater good, and to resist pressures to serve either oneself or others rather than both" (Hoare, 2011, p. 118).
I, . . . like him . . .was drawn to that quote for the same reasons. What he also brought up was a whole new relevancy to it by discussing "cancel culture" in his post.
Like Will, I don't believe in just "agreeing to disagree" but rather trying to understand others' perspectives and weaving that into our own thoughts and perspectives on a subject. Not being challenged by them, but trying to understand and relate. Not getting defensive, but opening up and considering. Cancel culture is the opposite of that in so many ways.
I remember in our teaching online course we discussed this "cancel culture" and how technology plays a part in that mindset and in that action. I wonder if there is a correlation between the users of social media, their age, the stage of their adult development, and the mindset of cancel culture.
Is there a bit of the socialized mind at play in technology and social media that creates the environment for a cancel culture to thrive? I think it would also be unique to determine if cancel culture was as prevalent in the past, but just went without a name, or if there are metrics that might show whether or not our society has become less tolerant of views that they don't immediately agree with or not, and if technology plays a part in it. What an intriguing line of thought, how technology plays a part in the socialized mind and maybe whether or not it slows development or increases the socialized mind stage
No comments:
Post a Comment