Wednesday, June 15, 2022

4-Dimension Digital Transformation Framework

We were given a 4-dimension framework to discuss as a part of a module in my most recent class. The model focused on digital leadership and digital transformation. 


I really liked seeing the 4-dimension framework discussed as a part of this module. Going through the readings, and seeing all of the videos made me want to do a bit more research in the "return to office" arena, especially in regards to several articles I've read recently. 

I found a great podcast from the WSJ (transcript linked below) where they discussed the evolution of the Google workspace design. In that podcast, they discussed an open office/town center type of design that was being incorporated into a hangar space. The benefits of this type of space they said were its flexibility for shared areas but also for closed-off areas for privacy as well. Then I read another article (Bindley & Cutter, 2022) where the major theme was the need for hybrid workspaces that also made it easier for workers to blend back into the business, especially at the hours that were most convenient for them. 

What's the point of all of this? First, there is the theme of adaptability and flexibility in digital leadership that was a part of these discussion boards in the past few weeks. Even in my interviews with leaders at my organization, the predominant characteristic that the interviewed leaders felt was needed was adaptability and an open mind. All of the readings, videos and other resources seemed to show the need for adaptability. Even the Luddite movie showed how leaders, workforces, and organizations need to be adaptable to the changing work landscape in order to be successful. 

What I liked about the 4-dimension framework was that it didn't focus on one or two of these aspects of change, but rather wrapped them all into one large change framework, showed users all of the areas that can be affected by digital transformation, and most importantly showed how different aspects of one area could bleed over and touch others. Specifically, the podcast on office redesign was not just about how best to allow for workers to do more work, but how to foster effective communication as well. The designers were focused on the changing nature of the work world, changing demands by workers, but also on the organization's need to foster good, effective communication for all the workers. 

I know we have seen these same issues at play in our own office space. Our leadership has not yet fully embraced remote or hybrid work environments and I worry that we are missing out on talented workers because we aren't more accepting of this capability. Our leadership will need to embrace this style of work if they want to attract and maintain good quality workers, and as yet, we haven't seen that become a focal point for our organization. I see that large organizations seem to be moving that way, I wonder from the level our classmates are at what you see at your own organizations? 

References

WSJ’s the future of everything. (2022, May 13). WSJ. https://www.wsj.com/podcasts/wsj-the-future-of-everything/designing-the-office-of-the-future-building-serendipity/36a1975f-74bf-4c7d-95d6-41c781fa3b6c?mod=Searchresults_pos16&page=2 (Links to an external site.)

Bindley, K., & Cutter, C. (2022, January 25). Workers care more about flexible hours than remote work. Wall Street Journal (Eastern Ed.). https://www.wsj.com/articles/workers-care-more-about-flexible-hours-than-remote-work-11643112004?cx_testId=3&cx_testVariant=cx_17&cx_artPos=0&mod=WTRN

No comments: