The house I'm staying at is on a mews, so in olden times it was a stable for horses. It has a cobblestone pavement and rows and rows of ordered homes and probably 4 dozen neighbors all living together. I wave and say hi, most don't wave back.
Regardless, walking to the cafe in the morning I ran into some neighbors and their English Cream Golden Retriever. Big and burly he pulled on his leash to intersect me, almost toppling over and yanking his owner off his feet. He made it to me though and laid his big body on my shins and looked up for a skritch... which he got. Lots. Mostly behind the ears.
What I liked most was his leaning on me. This is how dogs hug. I guess he needed a good long hug from a stranger to restore his faith in the world. Or maybe since he was wet and messy having just come from playing in Kensington Gardens (I assume since they’re just across the street) he was in a great mood and just needed to share a hug with someone like me. Maybe I look huggable.
Well he got a good long hug from me and a long series of ear skritches on top of that, and his owner was happy for it as he beamed down at his doggo.
Great morning for coffee at a cafe. Good omen. Never got his name... but I feel certain it was Rupert.

No comments:
Post a Comment