Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Digital Natives vs. Network Natives

My colleague Melynda wrote a paper about microlearning and learning delivered via smartphone to the learner. This is something we have looked into ourselves, (see HERE, HERE and HERE for a sampling of what I mean). I'm glad she saw in microlearning what I see, an incredibly useful and capable tool that isn't used enough. 


I'm a huge advocate of this. I think it hits a lot of the adult learner needs, convenience, ability to take at any time, anywhere, and if they can share it, then it's more valuable too. I was just reading about "digital natives", and how millennials will expect more digital access, but this article yesterday was more about expectations coming up due to gen Z. Instead of digital natives they will be "network natives."

Hoffman (2022) writes, "My takeaway from all this? Unlike the Millennials who preceded them, members of Gen Z aren’t just digital natives. They are “network natives” who get, implicitly and explicitly, the power of connection. Far from being passive and isolated, they lead lives characterized by participation and community. They know that social media lets them share their voices directly with the world even as it situates them in vast but tightly woven networks of their peers" (p. 2). 

I wonder how a generation of workers who are more attuned to "networks" like Tik-Tok, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, etc react to learning and the work world. We've been trying so hard to meet the needs of "digital natives" how will we meet the needs of "network natives." Hoffman (2022) goes on to write, "network-driven concepts like crowdsourcing, crowdfunding, the sharing economy, and collaborative workflow apps like Slack and Figma aren’t major paradigm shifts for this generation. They are just how the world works" (p. 3).

I see a time when instead of sending learning like you've mentioned to a smartphone, it's accessed through networks of learners who are looking for the same things. It's an interesting article, see the link below.

References

Hoffman, R. (2022, May 20). Welcome to the ‘network generation.’ Wall Street Journal (Eastern Ed.). https://www.wsj.com/articles/welcome-to-the-network-generation-11653053050?mod=Searchresults_pos2&page=1

No comments: