Saturday, June 25, 2022

Another Run

This morning I did NOT want to wake up and run (see more HERE). Not a bit. For some reason, and it seemed like a good idea at the moment, but I did a leg workout with tons of squats on Wednesday. Three days later and I'm still feeling it. Tight as a banjo string those hammies are. 


But, when the alarm went off at 6 AM, I thought about snoozing and running in absentia, I have the shirt, I have the number, I could have said my own home run would count toward my goal of a fun run a month for a year. But, I didn't. I rolled out of the rack and hauled my ass to the race. 
  • I ran well for the most part. It might have been hard to get the old muscles moving, but eventually, when I did, I ran well. Beat last year's time by about a minute. I haven't run at all to prep for this race. Two 6+ mile jogs in the UK and a few two miles hops here at home, but for the most part, all month, no runs. So, I knew this was going to hurt. It did. 
  • I ran next to, or with a pair of twins. They were amazing runners. I started outpacing them and eventually beat them by a few minutes. 
  • I wore my Puka Dog hat. Not sure why my brother thought I needed a hotdog stand hat from Hawaii, but someone actually remarked about it, so obviously my brother understands Hawaii fashion. 
  • I went out fast, which is evident from the split times, but didn't die as fast or hard as I thought. I forgot to turn off my timer at the finish line, so disregard that 22 min per mile split time. That was me just wandering around at the finish line chatting up other runners. 
  • I saw several lifers there. That was fun. We talked about SEAL PT. Good times. 
  • I got groped. Some gal was walking toward me not looking where she was going so I veered left to avoid her. She veered right and we almost bumped into each other. To apologize she looked up and said, "I'm so sorry," then strangely she put her hand on my pec and let it linger. There might have been a squeeze. I don't blame her. I have great pecs. That's the price of being hunky. 
  • When I got home I immediately jumped into the pool. Sadie joined me. As a part of her confidence training, we are teaching her to enjoy swimming. Nothing cuter. When I started to dry off, she came over and waited to be toweled off too. 
  • Finally, the run was through the Meyerland area. I just got back from Scotland where I still have ancestors. Pre-1920's, my great-grandfather immigrated to the US and built up quite a bit of "fortune" by developing (or helping to develop) much of that Meyerland and Bellaire area. So it was fun to go from Scotland to Meyerland just like my great-grandfather did. 

I really didn't want to do this run, but I'm glad I did. I'm stunned I ran so fast. Who knew! Maybe that whole dropping 35 pounds thing actually does help!






No comments: