Monday, May 1, 2023

Tough Times

Having read Upton Sinclair's The Jungle, having read any book by Charles Dickens, . . . Hell one of my favorite all-time books (other than Lonesome Dove) is Les Miserables! So, when I say that I'm having tough times, please know that I still know my place in the grand scheme of things. 

I have an amazing house and family. I have an amazingly stable job where they NEVER fire or let anyone go. I could stay there for 30 more years and no one will say boo. I have a terrific doggo and gato. I have my health (for the most part) and I'm quite privileged. . . inordinately so. Heck, just the other day I was explaining to Charlie about what a blessing it is to be born in America. It's like winning a "life lottery ticket."

Why is all of this floating around in my mind? 

Because I've just lived through some extremely tough times. Again, let's keep it in perspective, because in the first few words you'll hear that my tough times are actually a blessing. 

This semester I took a PhD level Advanced Qualitative Analysis and Writing class, a Master's level Social Justice and Privilege class (the dreaded CRT class), a Master's level Graduate Student Leadership elective, and I've been pushing to finish the first three chapters of my dissertation . . . my proposal . . . by next week. 

That's a ton!

That's more than I've ever had to do. Three classes plus writing my proposal! Usually, the professors don't want you to write your dissertation while taking classes. I know why now. Keep in mind, I'm not a full-time student. I'm a full-time VP. So I had to lead the development of a leadership course for a refinery group, continue the development of our major product line courses, start and finish the development of a new onboarding course for our organization, a showpiece, and I had to continue to speak and promote and advocate and run all the regular project I do every day. 

Then there's the kiddos, and sports and band, and walking the dog, and working out, etc etc etc. It's been a crazy couple of months! 

But the end is in sight. I've got like one week left then it should all come to an end (for now).

Again, I know that I live a blessed live. My company is sponsoring and paying for my PhD classes, they allow me to work on it at work, I have a stable job and home life. It's tough, but it's not tough like some have to deal with. Still, I'll be glad when it's over.

No comments: