Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Variety Among Drinks

I think I’m depressed. I have the doldrums. Several people have pointed it out to me lately. They say that I look and act “down.” 


I believe it. All this semester I was going one hundred miles an hour, now, just about 0. I mean maybe I’ll hit 5 mph or so, since I have one more class, a residency class in Kansas. There’s a book to read for that. Just one. A small one. Serendipitous for my novel writing career, the book is called, “How to Write A lot.” I betcha I love that book!

But still, its weird not having a million projects to juggle at once. I kinda miss it. And I think this is why people say I look like I’m down. I’ve seen this in others as well. Usually I think that its chemically related. 

Did I mention that on the day of my orals, I woke up early from not sleeping a wink. I mean it, I think I fell asleep at 1:30 or 2 . . . I remember seeing the clock on the nightstand saying 1 in the morning when I got up to get a melatonin. So I probably konked out a half hour later. 

But I woke up at 4:30. That I remember. So I was working on VERY little sleep. I was up drinking coffee and reading to relax while I counted down the hours till my orals. Well, the coffee didn’t taste great so I added a bit more milk. That didn’t help, which was surprising cause it was HEB Houston Blend, which I love, but you know what’s funnier . . . A dose of cocoa didn’t help either. 

Want to know what did help it taste good. In fact it tasted wonderful . . . Khalua . A big health dollop at 5 in the morning made that cocoa coffee the best thing ever! And certainly just what I needed both to wake up and to relax. 

I think I might make a great alcoholic, but I might try things a bit differently than what I hear others do. I heard of someone, someone close to me in fact, who struggled with alcoholism and their drink of choice, wine. Red wine. Can you imagine? Red wine all throughout the day! No thanks. Tried that in France and it got old quickly. 

If it was me, I would start with Kahlua cocoa coffees in the morning, . . . belinis, mimosas or screw drivers at mid morning, . . . Bloody Mary’s at lunch and then a gin and tonic or vodka tonic in the early afternoon. By cocktail hour I’d be working on margaritas, and mixed cocktails. And I’d wind up the evening with beer or cider. 

I would have to have that level of variety if I was going to be an alcoholic. 

But it will only be a few moments until I’m free enough to enjoy writing my novel again, and we have this podcast idea fermenting and bubbling away! So only a matter of time before I’m juggling again!

No comments: