I read an article today in The Wall Street, Journal about the job market. Right now I'm testing the job market. I want to see if my PhD should be earning me more money then Russell is paying me. If I get an offer that is significantly more than what I am currently getting, I may consider it.
I love the stability of my job, but I think I can do better in terms of pay. The problem is, according to this article, it is a horrible time for white-collar professionals to look for a job. Two or three years ago it was a terrific job market for white-collar professionals. Now, the landscape has changed significantly. One of the stats that resonated with me is that two or three years ago there were more job openings than applicants on LinkedIn. Now there are two applicants for every job opening on LinkedIn. I am one of these.
Two or three years ago there were more job openings than applicants on LinkedIn. Now there are two applicants for every job opening on LinkedIn. I am one of these.
This means that the power is in the hiring managers hands. They can be circumspect they can be picky they can take their time. Not a great time to be looking for a job. The good news is I have a terrific job. I'm just a little bit dissatisfied. I'm not in. I've got to get a job but I am in. I wonder what it would be like.
A part of this article focused on a 31-year-old lady named Sarah. She was brought into the story as someone looking for a job who is having a hard time. I think they mentioned she had done some absurd number of applications. I want to say over 1000 but they can't be right. Regardless, she mentioned an offer that she didn't get. This offer was $17,000 less than she wanted. I get that. If I was a 31-year-old and someone offered me $17,000 less, I would probably pass as well.
But then you have to consider salary inflation. When I was 31 I was just starting out with Brenda. I was making, I think, $40,000 a year. it is hard to believe that Sarah has a master's in education and five jobs under her belt. By the time I was 31 was only making $40,000.
In today's job market I bet you she was up in the 70s maybe 80s almost 90. So let's say, instead of making 90 she was offered 77. She negotiate with the hiring manager to knock off half of that salary reduction. So now she's in the 80s. She also starts negotiating on the PTO. This is a good tactic if you can't negotiate on salary negotiate on benefits. She wants more than two weeks of PTO as a part of this package.
This is where I have a hard time with it. Apparently the hiring manager refused to budge on the PTO. So Sarah walks away.
She walks away.
Sarah must not want a stable job very badly. I have not had more than two weeks of PTO. I think in my entire work. Now I have never negotiated for more. And truthfully, right now, I can take as much PTO as I want. You don't track it. I could take all the PTO in the world until it became an issue. He wouldn't say a word. Still, I find it amazing that she got the negotiation closer to her original salary level and walked away because she couldn't get the PTO. I wonder how much she regrets it now.
How much she regrets it now.
Here's the crux of my problem too. It's not so much about Sarah. It's about me. Instead of negotiating with Russell, I'm looking for another job. Do I think I know how that negotiation with Russell Macomb? Yes. I think he would emphasize how much he paid for the Ph.D. I think he'd emphasize how much he's put into it. I think it emphasizes how my raise is higher than most other people at the company. I would emphasize that no one else has a Ph.D. or anything even close to it. I would emphasize that I killed myself getting it done for years.
Truthfully, I'm just not really happy with HASC either. I don't like the politics I don't like the direction I don't like the way you treated people. There is very much into the tiered system there, and I am not a two-tiered system guy. So there's a lotta new ones in there. But Sarah seems to know her worth and will stick to it. I don't think I know my work.
I got a chance to see Will and Dallas. On my way back from auditions with Price. I mentioned that I was going to be doing a little bit of editing and proofing as a side hustle because I already do it for my classmates. I might as well do it more for money. I've been considering this, and it will encourage me to do it. He said the notes that he got from me for far better than anything he paid for on the open market.
He told me I should look into hub work. So last night I went on at work and put my little résumé in and I started looking for visit jobs within the community. I did a little bit of a cost comparison to see how much I should charge, and initially, I was gonna put $60 an hour. I asked my roommate how much she thought I should charge and I mentioned that I was thinking 60. She thought I was being absurd and thought I should do 200. She emphasized that very few people would have the credentials I do and that I should charge what I'm worth. After looking around a bit more, I saw that there were several people at 90 to 125 an hour, so I started at nine an hour.
How much would Sarah have started out that?
No comments:
Post a Comment