Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Self Authored Media

I was thinking about self authorship in terms of reporters and the news media. I heard a quote from Sebastian Unger's about what makes a reporter. He is a war correspondent and the author of a Perfect Storm. The quote, which I can’t find a direct quote of, was something to the effect of “a reporter someone who is willing to have his opinions and worldview destroyed by the facts.”

It basically means that facts outweigh opinion. 

For long time now I think our news media has been more opinion oriented than fact oriented. I think our news media picks aside and then find the fax to support it. 

In terms of self authorship, I think that in the past news media was able to rise above the political turmoil of the times. Authorship is the idea that I can see different perspectives I can walk in someone else's shoes I'm OK, understanding their points of view and understanding how they got them. 

If you look at our news media today, many of those characteristics are not present. Instead you see the socialized mindset at play.  where news media is advocating for, and trumpeting those opinions and beliefs of different sides. I should go back and look up what characteristics make up a socialized mindset, but it seems to me that's the very essence of it. 

It's certainly not self authorship. 

I think about those five levels of human development. Self-authorship is not a part of our national media’s make up anymore and doesn’t even seem to be something they aspire to.  I wonder if this goal is a thing of the past. I don’t know many other people who are looking at self authorship the same way I am. Maybe it is a part of our past, and there's a New Model for adult human development on the there being developed. 

No comments: