I try to steer clear of politics for the most part. I posted about a slight political moment with my classmates and professor the other day when I sent an opinion article to my class that discussed experiment design.
I'm going to take a moment to discuss unions. It was inspired by an article I read this morning in the WSJ (see HERE).
One of my earlier experiences with unions was in a class on American History and Unions in college. I know I was raised in an area where unions are not prolific. I see the historical value of unions, and the usefulness of unions, but I think that unions are essentially a bit out of place in today's society. If you don't like your working conditions, there are too many social freedoms that would allow you to find a better job. I know that's an oversimplification, but that's my thoughts. I think unions slow innovation and are an unecessary burdern. I'd rather the free market keep businesses in line rather than a union leader.
Apparently the NYT has similar thoughts. They feel that unionizations of their technology workers would stifle their ability to react and cost too much. A funny view from a source that I'm betting advocates for unions in other areas of life.
I remember there was a press for unionization of our craft workers in California when I showed up to train one week years ago. Wow, must have been 12 years ago now. For some reason the young kid who was advocating for unions during breaks asked me what I thought. I remember telling him that as a young guy he should not be advocating for unions. Unions, in my experience, do not help young workers but rather are a help to older, already established workers. In terms of safety, the safety systems we had in place were more than sufficient to keep him safe provided he used them appropriately. In terms of money, a union would not help him advance, but rather would take from his paycheck.
Unions are a part of the past and a nice lever to be able to pull if the free market loses it's potency. But what galls me is the hypocrisy of the New York Times who will advocate for unions in other organizations but when it comes to their own, they eschew it. I'll take unions over hypocrites any day.
No comments:
Post a Comment