Friday, February 18, 2022

Media-lish

Yeah, sorry, I tried to merge “media” and “english” in the title, and I don’t think it worked. Won’t try that again. But, I’m all riled up about the media and the way they use the language. 

My neighbor gets riled up constantly. And truthfully, she’s better about getting riled than I am. Eventually I get to a logical dissonance and just give up on the argument. I think she burns with a long hot raging fire. This makes it fun to rail against the world along side her, but often she goes off on tangents without help and often times it’s fun to watch her go off like a rocket. 

Today it was me who got in the first hit. I saw a meme. I’m not going to go into details, but basically, it was a screenshot of a Snopes fact check. When I read it I didn’t believe it was real. There, in this meme, was the Snopes fact check next to a video of the event that Snopes said was false actually happening. It was straight out of 1984!!! Newspeak! Snopes wrote, “This is False! This person may have said this but they didn’t mean it so it’s False.”

Completely unreal. So for me, today was the day I kicked things off!

First, it was riots that were called “Fiery, but mostly peaceful protests.” Then it was a riot that turned into an “insurrection” . . . Hardly meets the standard. Then there was this just last week. A small riot in LA that was decried as “overly enthusiastic celebrators” and the truckers in Canada who haven’t hurt anyone and who have been a bit of a pain, are nevertheless classified as “terrorists.”

I don’t know what to do! As a lover of the English language I can’t stand the high jacking of the language for political purposes and obfuscation. I can’t wait for the next rant and rile with the neighb!

No comments: