Thursday, February 3, 2022

Team vs Squad Leader

One of the best jobs I've ever had was as a Ranger Squad Team Leader. It was fun, full of bravado and challenges, and far too short. I was promoted to Squad Leader and it was far less fun. Instead of being the tip of the spear, which is what the Team Leader is, the Squad Leader has to pull up the rear. Sure the Squad Leader is in the middle of things but mostly they are reinforcements incase the teams get in trouble, he's a communications node as well, relaying messages back and forth to command, and the person pushing the stack forward. But as the primary shooter? Nope. Primary radio and map guy, maybe. 


Why is this coming up now?  Just as I hit that stage in the Army where I went from a vital part of the machine, the most fun, and most active part of the organization, to becoming just a communicator and passive leader, . . . I've hit that phase of my current work as well.

This past month our organization released two major courses that came out of my departments. One was a new leadership course which based on the reviews so far is absolutely phenomenal. A true transformative learning experience. The second is a revolutionary new and innovative computer based safety training that we hope will be a world rocker in our community. So far, it's looking very good. 

How much did I have to do with them? 

Not as much as I'd like. I feel so out of the loop. Both of my managers are so competent that really they don't need me except to say, "Hey, what do you think of this . . ." or "Can you approve this expense?" That's what I do. I approve expenses and communicate. There are my managers being the hard-charging Ranger Team Leaders and out there doing great things. Here I am following along behind with the stupid map and radio, trying to keep up, trying to keep control, falling behind constantly. Ugh. 

C'est la vie right? That's the nature of business. The fun jobs are taken over and performed by those below ya and you move up to the non-fun jobs. Still, good to see those two leaders being such extraordinary tips of the spears for our group!

No comments: