One of the goals I've been given for this next year is to further establish myself as a training subject matter expert in my field and in our industry.
Sounds a tad ambiguous doesn't it. How does one go about that?
Well, one thing I'm doing is speaking . . . a lot.
The picture above is of a community college in Pasadena where last week I was a "featured speaker." That's not a bad start is it?
It was a speech to about twenty to twenty-five students at their technical college. I thought it went well. It was supposed to be a bigger crowd, but having a smaller group allowed for me to "work the room" a bit. To walk around, to call on people, to be a game show type presenter. I think it was a success. Question and answer time lasted about half an hour. Then when it was over the organizer asked me to come back next month and do it all again. Being called back for a second act is a good sign, right?
It was really just a warm up act.
I have to give two major speeches this week. One is to an organization filled with safety professionals. It's on our virtual reality work and the studies we've done. Some of what I spoke about at the technical college will come into play, but there will be a lot more depth to this one.
The other day I wrote about the book I'm reading about the P-38 Lightning and Race of Aces (see HERE). The authors contention is that the P-38 changed the air battle landscape and added to the winning of the war. I'm going to reference that in the introduction of my speech.
Another thing I'm going to discuss . . . the primacy recency effect (see HERE). This adult learning theory about attention was a huge hit with the students. I think I'll use it again with the safety folks.
I also have ANOTHER speech later that same evening, this time with a bunch of painting, coatings, and insulating organization representatives. What am I discussing? Innovations again. Gonna use just about the same presentation as I used for the safety folks.
Lots and lots of speeches . . . that's a pretty good start at establishing my credentials, no? Feel free to join! I'm always happy to have more smiling friendly faces in the audience!
No comments:
Post a Comment