Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Retirement?

I love to think about retirement. What will I do (write), where will I be (????), what else will I do? 

I love watching what other people do when they retire. Hell I love watching how other people live and thinking about how I might be able to live like that.  


Last week I saw a post on Twitter from a guy who rolls around in a trailer/RV all year every year. He goes to RV parks and other camping spots sets up, and stays there for months. He homeschools his kids, he works (as a software developer), he takes his calls via zoom via wifi at the site. He feels he is blessed, and I agree. 



Lately, I've been thinking about where I might end up. Twitter guy has a good idea. Get the kids out of this house, get a PhD, set up a consulting business in Instructional Design and Training, and boom I'm outta here. I'm in the trailer or camper and I'm all over the place. Actually, it's a bit more nuanced than that. 


Will there be a camper? Maybe. Maybe for a few months I'll give it a go. but I foresee a bunch of leases and Air B&B's. How cool would it be to lease a place in the Carolinas, and enjoy that area for 6 months, then boom, off to the pan handle of Florida living on the beach for a 6 months. Then boom, try a camper in Minnesota or Michigan for 6 months, then BOOM! Over to Oregon and live on a bay and watch the sunsets for a half year. 


Here's one too . . . (these pics I've been posting). Costa Rica, off the grid living for six months. This might be the home base where I lease it out and when it's not leased for six months or longer we come back and live there until we find another long-term lease. 


I look at these pics and you know what I see? I see places to write. I see novels I can write. I see solitude and silence and the ability to focus. Ahhhhhh! Sounds wonderful!  I see kiddos coming for vacay, and I see friends coming for adventure. How awesome does that sound?


No comments: