I never thought it would happen, but today I wrote a script where I used the term heutagogical metacognition.
What is heutagogical metacognition? Basically it's self-directed learning with reflective practice. I would never ever use the term heutagogical metacognition, but I needed an obscure crazy term for a script. I was writing for Tommy.
Tommy loves the crazy words that have come out of my adult learning program. I think the first one he and I discussed was connectivisim. The idea that there could be networks and nodes with subject matter experts who all work together to help overcome challenges and problems.
This was prominent in my early work for my PhD because back at HydroChemPSC, we basically set up a platform to help with connnectivism. We had all of our leaders on a microlearning platform and in a Facebook team, and the idea was we could share pertinent information easily. It didn't really work out the way that I hoped. That doesn't mean I don't keep trying though. I still have aspirations to create a network like this on LinkedIn. Melissa is actually working on it now.
Regardless, the other day he needed a script to help film a video for our internal cultural initiative. He needed something absurd so I gave him heutagogical metacognition. He thinks I went into a textbook and found that term. Do you want the truth? I went to ChatGPT, and I said, find me a term as ridiculous as connectivism.
ChatGPT gave me a heutagogical metacognition.
Truth is I would never use that term in my work world or in my academic work. If I wanted to say self-directed learning with reflective practice opportunities… I would just say self-directed learning with reflective practice opportunities. I think it says more. People will understand what I'm saying. It's more descriptive. I just think it's funny that nowadays I can say heutagogical metacognition with a straight face. I never thought I would ever say or write that in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment