Friday, November 13, 2020

Derry Girls Lessons

Always tough to find those shows that you can watch with kiddos and still find funny. Those shows that transcend generations. We have the difficulty of having two kiddos who are in different eras. One is ready to move on to heavier stuff, the other is still quite fine staying a kiddo. I love these shows that are able to move between generations, imagine Harry Potter for television. I loved the fact that the Harry Potter series was for kids and grownups alike. 


We found that in Derry Girls. We love to sit around and watch Ireland in the early 90's and hear the crazy things that the Derry Girls say. Hard to pick a favorite. The first time round I thought Erin's odd facial expressions and breaking, sometimes gravelly voice was hilarious. Then by the end of watching that first season, I thought Clare was the funniest of the bunch. At the moment it's Michelle and her constant reviews of "rides."

I look forward to reading more about how it was inspired. It is written by Lisa McGee, and as with J.K. Rowling, I'm impressed with her writing something that transcends eras especially as she intertwines the war in Northern Ireland. Coming of age in a time of war. Nothing new, but perfectly done storywise in this series. 

The episode we watched last night had Erin stuck at home waiting for a date. It was a moment to discuss the importance of never standing anyone up for a date. It's particularly pernicious, unlike missing a business lunch, an interview, or just failing to show up for a meeting. Standing someone up for a date includes emotions and feelings. Not only are you undermining the trust you have with that person, but you are destroying the feelings they have built up for you and for that moment with you. 

"Never do that to someone," I told my son. "Whatever you do, even if you're upset with the person and think they deserve it, never do that to someone. Be better than that."

He was a tad taken aback, he had no idea it was such a big deal. Glad we had Derry Girls to show us the importance of staying true to your word and keeping dates. BTW, in the end, James shows up to save the day for Erin. If you haven't seen it, stop what you're doing and do so. 



Evershade, evershades , ever shade, ever shades, shades of Betsy Elizabeth, Betsy 



No comments: