Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Technology to Help Training

In my previous job, I was hired to help bridge innovation with our educational initiatives. I have a history of finding ways to use technology to help make learning easier. 

In one case we were providing mimeographed tests to disparate locations on our virtual learning classroom and the instructor was struggling to keep everyone together and the learners were having trouble seeing the quizzes and tests. 

We recycled iPhones that were being turned in by our sales and executive groups and sent them to the learning sites as testing units. We could have re-typed the tests and sent them out to be re-printed but by using the iPhones we could immediately update tests and quizzes with new questions, and get better analysis and real-time feedback of results. 

Too often there is a belief, particularly in today's day with so many apps and so much technology, that there is a technological solution for everything. In some cases, though that might not be a positive change or less of a burden for the user. In every case, we try to determine before rolling out technology how it will affect learning, and whether or not the learner will be able to use it without hardship. If the answers don't support using it then we go back to the drawing board. 

I'm a huge fan of technology in the workplace, especially in learning, but I have to constantly remind myself that although I may be an advocate, many of the trainees I design it for, may not be. Understanding the audience, the limitations, and the overall goal of the technologies use is paramount in deciding if that is a worthwhile investment of time and energy. 

No comments: