I really like the definition of learning from Mezirow. I ran across a similar definition for a paper I am writing on Robert Kegan when he describes how an adult moves from one stage to another in his developmental stages. He states at about four minutes and thirty seconds into the interview, that developmental growth should "transcend but include prior logic" (Fuller, 2019). This definition really appealed to me I'm sure for the same reason that Mezirow's definition resonated with you. As an aside, I'm a fan of when different ways of saying similar things appeal to different people. Goes to prove there's no one right way to say or do something.
I liked this definition in that it proves that there can be no developmental growth, and perhaps no learning without some sort of prior learning from which to build. Yesterday I posted a discussion post and quoted a long passage from Daniel Pratt's book about the Developmental perspective and the fact that a passage about a washing machine could only be appreciated and fully understood without some working knowledge of a washing machine (see below). My kids, ntierh of whom are even amateur washers yet (despite my my and my wife's best efforts) would wholly miss the point of the thought experiment that Pratt lays out if only because they have no perspective or knowledge from which to build.
I am constantly finding this to be the case in my work-life and home life; that I am asking people to understand and process information to the same degree that I do without letting them build the prior knowledge to understand how to do it. Too often I ask colleagues to develop eLearning a level they are not prepared for without fully helping them get to the level. My kids too, when I tell them to use the weed eater on the fence line, their work, in my opinion, is lacking, but in their eyes, it was well done. They lack that knowledge that over 40 years has afforded me.
I like Mesirow's and Kegan's definitions if only because it reminds me that there is no right way to say or do something and that each person's ability to learn and transition from developmental stage to developmental stage is based primarily on their background, perspectives, logic, and understanding.
If you get a chance to watch that video interview, do you think that Kegan's view of developmental transactions and growth makes sense?
Fuller, D. (2019). Robert Kegan: The Evolution of the Self. Rebel Wisdom. Retrieved from

No comments:
Post a Comment