I am very much NOT a team player.
Lately, we had to get ready for a presentation as a team. As I mentioned in previous posts, I do them quite well now days. I don't even have to rehearse much, I come up with a mental plan and go from there. My team however did not have that type of faith in their abilities. They wanted to have 5 1 hour rehearsals for what will be a 20 minute presentation. Five, that was a TON of rehearsals.
Still, this will be the LAST time I work in teams!
Well, unless I'm forced.
This has not been a fun team project. Our project is about building an a program for an existing company. It started out well. Two of us doing the Lion's share of the work, while the other kept us on track.
If it was just me I think I would have Winged that Sucker. Some folks are not fine tuners by nature. That's not to say I can follow APA, I don't do that at all. I just don't like people who can't make a decision and go with it. Instead of fine tuning the paper, the paper became a dumping ground for our team's comments and problems all needing a solution.
Worst of all, we had to be guided and have a long discussion about which APA style to use, 6 or 7. Seriously? Just pick one and go. This is something I have problems with at work as well. I'm very much a move quickly and deal with the problems later guy. Sometimes to my detriment. I don't work well with those who take forever to come up with a plan and execute.
Our team should have had this entire project complete last week, instead it's still outstanding. Working alone I would have already turned this in and moved on. Plus, thanks to having to work in teams I'm finding some super easy to spot problems that haven't been taken care of by the team. Using personal pronouns in the paper, tables and charts all look different, appendices for some information, not for others. The rhythm and flow of the paper is a mess.
I get that not everyone works the same and it takes a village, but when it comes to projects like this I'd rather work alone than depend on others.
The only good news is that unlike our last class, we have no page count restrictions. Minimum . . .MINIMUM of 15! So we are already well over 25 pages and a dozen more of appendix! It's like a tax audit! We are overwhelming them with information! Hope it works!

No comments:
Post a Comment