Friday, February 26, 2021

Love (to Rewrite) This One

 I had the opporutnity to watch The Greatest Showman the other day and loved one song in it. I gnerally don't dig on muscials for the screen. If I'm going to watch a musical, then put it on a stage I say. It's so much better (always) on stage than on screen. On screen, musicals always seem so fake. I love the realness of the stage.

Regardless, I had the chance to watch this movie and BOOM! Rewrite the stars hit me like a ton of bricks. Two competeing stanzas hit me and I dno't know which I like more. First there is:

No one can rewrite the stars

How can you say you'll be mine?

Everything keeps us apart

And I'm not the one you were meant to find

It's not up to you

It's not up to me

When everyone tells us what we can be

How can we rewrite the stars?

Say that the world can be ours

Tonight

Then there is this stanza that is just about the exact opposite: 

How do we rewrite the stars?

Say you were made to be mine?

Nothing can keep us apart

'Cause you are the one I was meant to find

It's up to you

And it's up to me

No one can say what we get to be

And why don't we rewrite the stars?

Changing the world to be ours

Both are exceptionally compelling for different reasons. But I guess if I'm going to have to pick one to use as my mantra, it's gonna be the more positive one, the second one. 

I'm the type of guy who believes life is what we make it, not what it makes of us. I'm not a victim of the world and of circumstance, I can rewrite things, maybe not the stars, but I can rewrite my life. I can make my life what I want it to be. I am not someone who is going to sulk and stew in the inability to have the life I want. That's just me. 

For me, "nothing can keep us apart" is more apt and telling than "everything keeps us apart."

Elizabeth, Betsy 


Evershade, evershades, ever shade, ever shades, shades of Betsy

No comments: