On March 28th, for the past couple of years, I think about Betsy. Betsy was a great friend. She was awesome because she didn't give a damn about anything. She was driven, fun, exciting, and just more than a tad crazy. What was best about her though was that she did't care what other people thought about her. She was out there and people just had to accept her for who she was.
Betsy changed over time though, and I think about that on three days, one in May, the other July, and finally in March.
I don't speak to her nearly enough anymore. I used to hear from her constantly, calls, emails, texts, but things change. Jobs change. Work changes. Moving. New friends. I wonder if in Betsy's life it had a lot to do with her parents deaths. When I first met her her parents were alive and a huge part of her life. I always wonder if a sense of fatalism didn't overtake Betsy when her parents passed away. For me it wasn't as world rocking when my father died. But maybe for Betsy it created a change that made her go from uncaring about the world and how the world saw her to the exact opposite.
The last time I spoke to her she was paranoid, distant and wrapped in quiescence. She did a complete 180 over the course of our friendship. Regardless, I think about our friendship on this day and two others that really pop up. It was almost as if those dates represent stepping stones from the old to the new.
No comments:
Post a Comment