Monday, March 29, 2021

Change of Formats

One of oldest readers asked me some questions the other day, and I think several other readers might be curious (thanks for that "weenielove!")

Format

You may have noticed that I've changed the style of the blog. I wanted a bit of a change, and I liked it. I thought the change was worth it. The problem is no matter how hard I worked at it, I couldn't get the search function to work. 

That little magnifying glass at the top left, you may never have noticed it, well, that didn't work in the other format. I had some complaints. Despite the slick style, the functionality was necessary. 

Tools

Other than the search box, there were some other issues with the functionality. That list of "Tags" on the far right of the screen? I group alot of my posts into those tags. Those weren't showing up for the readers. 

How could you sort by great lines or by first lines, or review of my work, without using those tags?

Also, the archive. That dropdown list of every single post I've made over the years . . . that was gone too. There are over one thousand posts as a part of this blog, it's alot to try and navigate. It's even harder without an archive. So I came back to the old format and style for those reasons too. 

Audience

I've had a huge increase in readership compared to where I started. It used to be just one reader ("Hi Mom!") then a second every now and then ("thanks again Weenie's Rule"), now I get hundreds of visitors a day?

How's that happening?

I think it's primarily from going back to school. I posted my blog site to my profile, so each class I'm in over 30 to 50 new students are seeing my blog. All of the new content on Adult Learning keeps them coming back. 

Secondly, I've started posting in the National Novel Writing Month forum and getting more and more and more writers coming to see my posts. 

These are the things that are helping move my readership upward. I hope I can keep up with the expectations!

No comments: