Friday, March 5, 2021

The Perfect Words

Years ago, when I was considering being a full-time writer, I took a "Writing the Short Story" continuing education class at Rice. It was fun, interesting, and was a terrific breeding ground for it's own short story thanks to one of the students getting blitzed on JD most nights. One evening I remember the professor said that short story writing is actually much harder than writing a novel, because you have to be so precise with the words. 

Having written both now, I would say that they're both hard, in different ways. I wouldn't say short stories are harder. 


That being said, when you run into someone who can so perfectly find just the right words, the right order, and the economy of words to get the point across perfectly, it's easy to understand how great writers write. That is what I've found through these little pull quotes from Twitter and Miss Great White North. Today's is no different.

Feel me breathe
chest to chest

Just perfect. So much is said . . . so much can be felt in those few words. 
Elizabeth, Betsy 



Evershade, evershades, ever shade, ever shades, shades of Betsy

No comments: