Thursday, March 11, 2021

Perfect Practice

I really enjoyed a post I read by a colleague named John about how he had his team use practice makes perfect. He described how bad practice can lead to bad practices. If you don't practice well you run the risk of making something permanent that you may not have wanted. For example, if I teach someone how to shovel and fail to teach them to use their legs and avoid lifting with their back. Now lets say they go practice shoveling and use their lower back extensively. It may be cementing in their mind the wrong process that could lead to poor performance and worse, might be hard to untrain. 


In terms of the old adage, "practice makes perfect" . . .  my team has adopted the phrase “perfect practice makes progress.” This would seem to agree with what John was striving for… The fact that perfection in terms of a skill may not show growth as well as the idea that practice should be well done so we don’t get permanence from poor practice. 


No comments: