Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Another on Teams

The other day I wrote about working in teams and how much I don't care for it (see here), and I might have an update based on some things that happened recently. 


I've decided its not so much teams, per se, it's who involved in the team. I have to work with a colleague and they are CONSTANTLY forcing teams and meetings. I'm very a much a quick mover, and a adapt, adjust and overcome personality. I would rather work quickly and deliver a solution and try it out. I don't like to discuss best possible solutions, I look for the solution that is immediate and use it. 

This colleauge of mine loves to discuss to death every option. In many cases my personality gets me in trouble, but it can never be said that I dilly dally. 

Here are a couple of perfect examples, one organizational, and one that's less global. 

The first regards a project that I recently rolled out. It was innovative, it was unique, it was cutting edge, and at this point we have had over 2000 unique instances where it was used. This is a huge feather in our cap. Was in perfect? Nope. Have we had to make edits and adjustments? Yep. Did we? Yep. 

Had my colleague been in charge of this project, it would still be on the drawing board, they would still be having meetings, we would NOT have had 2000 test cases. 

Here's another case.

Two weeks ago our boss asked how many of us had been to our satellite facility. No one raised their hand. In the past two weeks I've been there twice. I've scheduled myself to be there each week going forward. 

One of my colleagues immediately asked when our boss asked, "How do we schedule rooms?" and "How can we be sure we aren't all there at the same time?" etc. She immediately looked for the problems. Whereas I just went and did it. 

So my thoughts are that I like teams that work like I do. I like quick movers and those that don't want moss to grow on them. Endless meetings with teams are sometimes necessary, but I'd rather go do than wait around for perfection. 

No comments: