I was at the slopes with my kiddos, and was looking for the hot cocoa and marshmallows to make after-dinner drinks with the kiddos when one of them looked at the end-cap for aisle 4 and said, "What are these dad?"
He was looking at the hostess rack.
I have so many fond memories of hostess snacks throughout my childhood, it made me so sad to hear that my kids had no idea what they were and had none of the memories that I grew up with. Now, there are those who say that perhaps I attach too many memories to food. But, this, it's unconscionable.
What's the best? Ho-ho's of course. Ding Dongs are a close second. Then Twinkies. Donettes are somewhere in there too. I told those two suckers this and they looked at me with such confused eyes that I was forced to take drastic measures.
I threw the following into my basket:
- Box of Ding Dongs
- Box of Twinkies
- Roll of Chocolate Covered Donettes
- Roll of Powder Sugar Donettes
- Roll of Cinnamon Sugar Donettes
- Apple Pie Turnover
- Chocolate Pie Turnover
- Box of Ho-Ho's
- Pack of Sno-Balls (Chocolate, White/Vanilla/Coconut, and Pink)
- Cherry Pie Turnover
- Box of Hostess Cupcakes
- Pack of Honeybuns
- Packet of Zingers
- Pack of Oatmeal Cream Pies
- Pack of Nutty Buddys
- Box of Zebra Cakes
- Pack of Swiss Rolls
We got back to the house and set up a snack cake line up, much like the candy line up that George set up at the car shop in Seinfeld. We each had a bite of each type and ranked them from 1-10 and picked our first, second, and third favorites.
It may have been more memorable than the slopes, and I know that the next guests at this Air BnB will have quite alot of snack cakes to choose from!

No comments:
Post a Comment