Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Preparing and Managing Budgets in Program Planning

 As a part of my program planning class I had to provide a class presentation on one of the book's chapters (see here). The chapter I got was chapter 10 - budgeting and finance. Ugh. I'm the worlds worst person to ask about budgeting and finance, unless it's about personal finance, in which case I'm quite good. So that's what I focused on. 

I noticed something else, all the practice I've had in presentations is really paying off with my classes. I've done so many presentations that I can whip em out and make em worthwhile fairly easily. I got a 100% on this one, and truthfully, if you look at the samples I provided below, I really used way too much text. This is about 4 of my 15 slides. Mine are also heavy with animation so each slide is rich with depth. Others had 30 or 40 slides, mine just 15 but with more in each slide.

My style right now is very similar to a Steve Jobs Apple product launch presentation. Go check out one of those videos and you'll see that Jobs had no words on the screen, just images. This goes back to something I read about Mark Twain. apparently for his speeches he didn't' write things out so much as he drew illustrations to help remind himself what he wanted to say. 

I gave a presentation for work last month and was very concerned as I wanted for my turn because everyone before me had slide after slide of text, bullet lists, and numbers. Mine were nothing but images. My presentation went well, and afterward our meeting host, Paul, told me how impressed he was with my presentation. Cami said the same. 

Goes to show, have some faith. Enjoy and have confidence in your abilities. 










No comments: