Friday, May 28, 2021

Which Perspective is Right?

A colleague asked whether or not any instructors prefers different learning styles that what they have to teach.

Due to the demands and safety strictures of the petrochemical and oil refining industry, we are forced to provide our new employee process safety training via a transmission centered perspective. We have about one hundred new employees to the industry each day go through this course and not only is using the transmission perspective the easiest way to provide the training, but it's a mandate by the governing authority. 

We also provide eLearning training, . . . CBT or computer-based training, for hundred of employees a day. Again, we have to use the transmission perspective due to the nature of the training, the delivery mechanism, but also the expectations of the learner and the training provider. 

Your question was "do any of us have to train using one perspective but feel more comfortable with another." This is very much the case with me. As I said, we are forced to use transmission for the lion's share of our training delivery. I however enjoy apprenticeship, developmental, and nurturing perspective more. I find myself gravitating to our senior leadership classes to help with the facilitation of those pieces of training, or working with my eLearning development team to work with that team and help them with training development. I also enjoy helping the younger trainers learn more about the craft of training through apprenticeship and instruction. 

I'm at a point in my career and life where perspectives other than transmission are far more relevant and appealing to me, but our primary training delivery is the transmission. I very much find myself looking for ways in which I can eschew transmission for opportunities that allow for other perspectives. 

No comments: