I wouldn't say that it caused hostility, the Ranger School rating sheets, but it got to a point where everyone knew before the end of the session who was going to get the ax. There came to be a bit of self-selection within the squad where everyone knew who was getting voted out by their abilities and capabilities. There was no hard feelings about it, it was just the way the system worked. Maybe we were all too tired and hungry and cold to worry about feelings of exclusion or segregation.
I really like what we've been doing with mentorship . . . the idea of pairing weaker with stronger. I'll say this, we made sure to do that as well. the stronger performers in the field were the soldiers, usually NCO's who came from the infantry battalions. The stronger planners were those soldiers who were officers on their way to units after attending west point or other schools. We tended to use each others strengths and weaknesses for the betterment of the squad as a whole.
No comments:
Post a Comment