I'm about to take my final exam for what has to have been the hardest class I've yet taken for my PhD. It's over statistics and it's a killer. I has been two classes a week. Each class was an hour to two hours long. A four week course where we had 11 assignments due, 3 exams, and we not only went over statistics theory, but also R Studio, an open source application for computing statistics.
We barely scratched the surface of R Studio, but man can I ever whip out an Anova table now.
Regardless, the reason I bring this up is that I'm once again stunned by friendship. We have created an ersatz study group of me, Will, Andrew, and Anne. It began with just me and Andrew. We added Daron, then Will showed up a few months later. Then Anne. Others have come and gone. Daron hasn't come for a while. We used to meet once or twice a week on top of our classes, but this class, it's just been study group meetings to work on exam prep and homework.
I don't think any of us are necessarily good at stats, but we have helped each other and dragged one another over the finish line in a haphazard fashion. Well, almost over. I'll let you know in a couple hours.
Still, I'm impressed by our little group of friends. Will said last week, I have to tell you guys, I would never have survived in this class without you guys. I think he spoke for all of us. I look forward to seeing how long this study group stays together. It's a good one and I'd hate to lose more close friends.
Wish me luck on the test.
No comments:
Post a Comment