Friday, July 23, 2021

Get er Done

 HA! 

It happened again. I asked a fellow writer to write a guest blog for my blog. Now, perhaps she was being nice and what she meant to say was "your blog is just not what I think would help my writing career." And that would be fine. 


I would counter by saying that I had over 150 distinct views yesterday and in the last month have had over 1800 viewers stop by my blog. But she didn't say that. She said something along the lines of: "with my family, work, writing and other personal issues . . . I'm just not able to take on any other projects right now."

I appreciate the fact that she thinks writing a blog post would be a "project," but what I think is funniest is that people think they're too busy. As I said in my last post on this (see here) the only people who have a right in my eyes to say they're too busy are a couple of my friends who are now in Delta Force, and a couple of my former bosses who are both CEO's. 

Not to say I'm in league with them, but I work a full time job, I have a two-hour long commute, two kiddos both with lots of activities, a wife who works, I'm going to classes to get my PhD, Nerd Fitness (see here), I'm two days into another 100 days of running and pushups challenge (see here) and at the moment I'm writing a 50,000 word draft of my next novel over the next month. 

I look around at those people around me. If Julie, the manager of my eLearning Department came to me and said, "Hey, I love this new idea about including more interactive exercises in our training but really I'm too busy to take on new projects at this time," or if Tommy, the manager of my Instructor Led Training Department said to me, "Love this new hands-on approach, but I'm really too busy to take on new projects at this time," I'd ask them both who they would like to see replace them in their roles. 

My wife too, she never shies away from another project. My kids, they rebel against it, but I'm slowly making them a convert to never turning down a new mission. 

Life is short, and as I wrote (here) there are a shortage of truly remarkable people in the world. To be remarkable, or even to be close to remarkable, it requires taking chances and living while their is time. Anyone need a volunteer to take on another project, . . . here I am.

No comments: