Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Another Interview with a Researcher

We were asked to review a video of an interview between a qualitative researcher and Dr. Holloway-Libell, another qualitative researcher. There have been several of these lately, and they're all interesting in their own way.


I appreciated that Dr. Holloway-Libell discussed the global approach and understanding that is currently working its way through qualitative studies and research designs. To take this a step further, I think it would be interesting to see what results from these global approaches lead us to a better understanding of the cultures from which they spring. How can the end results that we read about help us understand other facets about the culture, country, or society that thought them up. 

A second thing I appreciated about this discussion was Dr. Holloway-Libell's discussion of needing a firm foundation in the philosophical underpinnings of the field. I have been struggling quite a bit with some of our reading and determining how I can apply what I'm reading. I think based on what Dr. Holloway-Libell mentions, I should stop trying to look for application and just absorb the philosophical basis and grounding first. It's frustration to not have a how-to guide, but as she mentions, there isn't one. There needs to be study first. As Tony mentions above, there is no ABC's of what to do, there is study that leads to ideas of how to apply what you've learned. Frustrating for someone who is procedurally oriented as I am, but necessary. 

I really appreciate Dr. Holloway-Libell's "advice for newcomers" portion. Being patient and reading alot seems to fit nicely with my second point above. 

No comments: