One of my colleagues was discussing his being hired into a new organization. When he started he tried to model his work to those of the culture. Our professor asked about why we want to fit in an accomodate others when we start a new job.
I think it's like all new members to groups, there is a desire to fit in and please the group. In the military when there was a new leader for a squad, platoon, or company the first rule of thumb was to make no immediate changes. The leader was supposed to observe first before making any changes, especially major ones.
I think what my colleague described about his new role shows leadership maturity. Prior to making changes he is assessing and gauging the environment to be sure that his ideas are implemented successfully. It's the poor leader who comes in and immediately starts making changes without knowing the landscape. We had a new First Sergeant take over our Company when I was in the Military and he immediately started making changes. His changes took twice as long as otherwise and their was never any internal buy-in for them. His tenure was a failure for the most part. When I think about new leadership positions, it is this first sergeant I think about and his example reminds me to wait to make any changes.

No comments:
Post a Comment