Saturday, October 23, 2021

Professorship

This week I was asked by the professors of the Adult Learning and Leadership PhD program that I'm a part of to develop and deliver a semester long class on innovative and cutting edge training techniques and trends. My wife was very impressed, and truthfully, I'm kinda pleased with myself too! Only 4 PhD candidates were chosen for this among the class of several dozen. 


What I think is funny, is that my wife constantly talks about how great it would be for me to go into teaching as a professor at a college or university. I don't know what she's talking about. I dig working at HASC and can't imagine a better place to work. 

First, I betcha I make more than most of my professors. I would probably have to take a pay cut to follow my wife's dreams for me. 

Secondly, who wants all that administrative red tape that comes with being a part of a university system. BLECH. Here I'm in a non-profit that is nimble, aggressive and cutting edge. What do I need with a college or univeristy and their plodding attitudes. 

Finally, I don't have to teach. I've taught. I've trained. Alot. I'm tired of training and teaching. Why would I want to go back to do that again? I have ten trainers that report to my manager/director. I don't have to deal with the day-to-day nonsense, nor have to try and motivate students. 

All of this tells me my wife is crazy. Why would I ever leave where I'm at? At least this next semester, where I develop the course, and the following semester, where I deliver the course, will help me verify all of the above. 

No comments: