Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Mindfulness and Acting

My classmate, Megan, had a really interesting post on mindfulness. I'm really digging this module on mindfulness, and Megan has, apparently, a background in some mindfulness exercises.


She mentioned several exercises that she uses to help the actors she coaches in their ability to become and maintain focus and mindfulness in her theater classes. 

There have been a couple of jobs I've been on where before starting work the entire worksite had to get together and take a few moments to stretch, breathe, relax, think about their work, and hear from others. 

We work hard to identify dangers on the worksite and discuss and understand the worst-case scenarios. The idea is that if a worker knows the "worst-case" then they'll inherently and subconsciously stop themselves and others from doing things that will lead to that worst case.  Those jobs where the client enforces a moment of mindfulness and stretching muscles, then it seemed like the work progressed better. I don't have the KPI's on hand, but I would imagine that the metrics prove the feeling. 

So often when we root cause injuries and losses it has to do with rushing. Mindfulness, understanding that safety comes first, living in the moment instead of worrying about this deadline or the next job, would certainly seem to benefit this and I wonder if finding ways to be more "mindful" might influence the behavior even more. 


No comments: