Elle asked us in class if we had any experiences with transformational learning experiences. Anyone who reads this blog will know that that answer is a hard YES.
The most starkly relevant experience I have had that I would classify as a transformational experience came about as a part of a leadership course our entire organization's executive leadership had to be a part of following a very contentious merger. I've written about this before. It was my first experience with DiSC personality profiles. I was blown away not only by my own similarities with other S's, but also how wrong I was about how to talk to D's!
Our organization of 3500 employees suddenly merged with our largest and staunchest competitor. We went from being bitter enemies to have to be friends. It was a tough transition, to say the least. The training course that we worked through explored how best to interact with each other and move the newly merged organization forward. I still remember that course and what we as a group learned. It was very worthwhile and we found that as a group it helped us move forward.
I know for me it was transformational and I learned a ton about myself, my coworkers, and about leadership through a business combination. I know too from the others in the course that they found it just as insightful. I think it was a perfect opportunity for this type of transformational experience. The disorienting dilemma was everyone going through a similar disruption of their work life and organization. Overall it was extremely beneficial.
No comments:
Post a Comment