Grading was a discussion the other day. I know in my online instruction I always consider those learners who are writing for the rubric or those that are going beyond and I let the grading effect my decisions as well.
I will even tell the learners that I'm grading based both on the rubric and on their engagement. The rubric provides a nice guideline, but enthusiasm and engagement play a part as well. It's usually fairly easy to find who is trying vs who is just marking time. Don't get me wrong, those that are just writing and discussing toward the rubric are doing a good job, but those that go beyond are even better for the movement of the class. The grade for that person who is meeting the rubric might be the same as that person who is going above and beyond. But, I'll also let those learners who are going above and beyond know that they are going above and beyond. Usually I find that those learners aren't just looking for the grade, but are looking for the personal notice and experience.

No comments:
Post a Comment