All in all I like the fact that the text provides activities and tips that we as learners and facilitators can use immediately in the classroom or online classroom to make our own products more effective and meaningful for our learners. That being said, there are those that I don't think are as effective, relevant, or worthwhile as others. One of these is Technique 1 under Late Middle Tip 2. Tip 2 is Three Techniques for Making Your Students' Knowledge Visible. Technique 1 is Interview-Expert Modeling.
Having read this I think I see where the authors are coming from and what they are proposing, but I don't know if I believe it will be very effective and it could lead to confusion or incorrect conclusions. This technique can allow the students to think from different perspectives and think differently about the subject matter. This of course allow them to make new connections and create different networks in their minds, but if the learners make incorrect assumptions as an "expert" and these aren't caught by interviewer or the facilitator, it could lead to the wrong conclusions being drawn.
I think the book, Online Teaching Survival Guide should have called out the need for the facilitator to be present to help guide this approach, but I wonder if anyone else in the group has worked with this specifically or tried this technique? Was it successful? Were there any pitfalls?

No comments:
Post a Comment