Friday, December 24, 2021

Just One More Day . . .

This week I've been following the example of Diane Mott Davidson and posting some recipes. I wonder (as I did earlier) that it was inspired by a cooking class I took this past week. 



I've done a bunch of cooking classes over the years. This was probably the most fun. Not the "best" mind you . . . but definitely the most fun. 

The chef was Chef Dee Dee (see the picture above), and she was super fun. The menu was interseting and very easy for anyone who has taken a "bunch" of classes. 

First we made a cajun shrimp omelette. The omelette was hardly tough. I make omelettes all the time and have since the fourth grade. BUT . . . even I, a super omelette maker, have things to learn. In this case it was liquid smoke. I've never add liquid smoke to an omelette before this class . . . actually it wasn't that bad. An umami flavor. Unctuous even. I would have preferred a teaspoon rather than a tablespoon of it, but it was new and interesting. 

Next we made crab cakes. Whenever I make crab cakes they are never as good as going out. NO MORE! These crab cakes were AMAZING! And so simple! I can't wait to make them again. 


The next thing we made was shrimp and grits. I'm a grits master, so there wasn't very little I learned from this recipe. But the shrimp sauce was fun to make and although it (like the omelette) could have used a teaspoon of Worcestershire instead of the tablespoon, it was still very good. 

The final recipe was banana's foster. I've made this once before, with my grandmother, Muzzie (see HERE for more on Muzzie). This recipe was a touch better. We got to flambe which is always fun, plus the dinner and dessert at the end of the class was a joy.

All in all the class, like I said was the most fun. I've tried HEB Central Market a couple of times, I've tried classes at Sur La Table, and on an on. Chef Dee Dee is the best.  

No comments: