One thing I love is the Ken Blanchard Situational Leadership Model. I’ve written about it before (see HERE and HERE for more). It changed my life as a manager and I hope it helps those I work with.
I like it because it provides some concrete ways that leaders can address and affect positive changes in the troops or employees that we lead. I try to use it constantly for new managers, but what do you do when leaders and managers out grow that?
I am a Vice President now so I have more senior directors and senior mangers reporting to me. I have some with whom I do very little other than ask them, “What help do you need from me?” or “What can I do to help you?” They are that good and that senior.
Then there are some others a bit less senior who need a tad bit of direction and I need a bit more information from. The one I’m thinking of is moving right on up and is almost at that next level I just mentioned above.
Then there’s this one manager who is the newest of the bunch. She’s moving on up quick but she needs the most work and help, but in our last review I said, “hey, so I’m gonna start leaving you alone more now to do your own thing, and you just come to me when you need my help.”
She said the best thing that I could have hoped for. She said: “Yeah, doofus, we’ve basically been doing that for weeks! Keep up with this mentorship will ya!”
No comments:
Post a Comment