On my run today I was thinking a lot about something someone said to me. She said she missed me. I said, “okay let’s call, or go to lunch, or write more.” Nope, she didn’t want any of that. She just wanted to miss me.
It reminded me a lot of what Sherbet my old friend said. She said she missed me. I've written about my manager, many times and how much fun I had working with her. The difference? Betsy was working to change things. She was actively trying to get back into my work life. The problem? I don’t need a recruiter. She’s an amazing recruiter, I just don’t need a recruiter in this job that I have.
I loved working with Betsy, and I know why she misses working with me. She’s now in the position I used to have for her. I provided cover, I provided vision, I was her leader she would come to when she needed something then I would get out of her way and let her work. Now she does all of that. It’s a tough jump.
I was thinking of the aphorism, we regret the things we didn’t do more than the things we do. I followed this as a mantra for many years. It’s one of the reasons I did so much skydiving in high school. First I wanted to see if I could do it, to see if I could be a paratrooper. But I realized if I didn’t do it I would regret it.
I used to live my life with no regrets. Not anymore. I look back on my life and there are many regrets. I think that’s why I liked the book The First 15 Lives of Harry August so much. It’s all about being able to go back and change things you may have done wrong. Eventually, could you live your live with no regrets what so ever? Is that possible?
Now I get to work with her son Cole (who I used to know as her daughter Callie). Not quite as much fun as working with Betsy, but I doubt anything could be.
No comments:
Post a Comment