Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Qualitative Article Contract

We were asked to provide a contract for our semester that outlines how we are going to meet our writing goals for the class. My goal is to write a qualitative article for publication. Others have a goal to write a chapter of their dissertation. This can't be my goal. My dissertation in quantitative in nature. I've already started writing and submitting it. How can I use that in a qualitative class?


So, I came up with several tools to help me outline and meet my writing goals. I came up with a chart, a form, and a bunch of sample questions. Is it overkill? Sure. Is it too much? I don't think so. It helps me keep things straight and it would be what I would expect if I was the professor of this class. 

Project Summary

I intend to write a scholarly article that is qualitative in nature and helps the industry I support better understand the nature of and expectations that our learners come to the industry with. 

For this project, I intend to draft findings from a case study for an article for a refereed journal. This article aims to understand the experiences of newly hired employees working at a contractor organization within the energy industry with a goal of understanding what aspects of their new positions might lead them to leave or abandon the job sooner than they might want. The contractors in the industry have a high turnover and this article will help us understand this phenomenon and perhaps lead to interventions that will alleviate it. To accomplish this, the article will focus on a phenomenological case study that is designed to better understand the essence of being a new employee in the energy industry and the lived experiences of the 10 participants in the study over the first three months of their being hired.

If there is the potential that the contractor organization cannot solicit a suitable number of volunteers, the backup plan will be to solicit volunteers from HASCs new hire training course. This course trains up to 200 newly hired employees in the industry every day. By soliciting from this course the study can still focus on aspects of contractor organizations' retention and turnover, but cannot be as focused on one organization. The benefits of this backup plan is that there is a greater number of potential participants to volunteer and I have a greater ability to control the aspect of soliciting volunteers.

The timeline I will propose and will turn in on Sep 4 as a part of our graded assignment is shown below. The volunteer acceptance form that I've created and sample questions are shown below as images. 

What's the problem? 

I'm looking at my classmates answers to the same question, and no joke, I see a few that are less than impressive, and another that says: 

    I want to improve my writing. 

Well, not exactly that, but more like:

1) To be able to consolidate research and be able to present it in a coherent flow

2) To get into the habit of writing a little daily

3) To sound academic, but not too much

Now, it could be said I take my assignments too far. But this is a PhD level class. This isn't even a Master's class, this is only other PhD students. I would expect a bit more than "get in the habit of writing daily" from a PhD student. But that's just me. 

No comments: