Sunday, September 18, 2022

Two-Day Fun Run

Well I'm back on track with my fun running. August was much harder than I thought and that not many people put on fun runs in August in Houston.

 I need to remember that next year when I try this little challenge again and maybe coordinate my vacation out of state with a fun run in August. 



I'll It didn't help that I had a slight injury to deal with as well. But today and yesterday I got to hang out at your beach for this 10K fun run. Why two days? Well I showed up on the wrong day. All of the emails and the packet pick up seemed to indicate that the fun run would be Saturday morning. So I showed up Saturday morning and I immediately thought there weren't many people. Still, I looked around to the start tried to find it and eventually started getting the feeling that I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.


 I ran into a couple of other runners who looked as confused as I did and we talk and realize that we were here on the wrong day. Man did we feel stupid. I would have felt worse if it hadn't been for the other runners being there and having made the same mistake.


But I ran today and it was a long hard slog but I'm glad I did it. UH is a fun place to run, even if it's two days in a row. I may have mentioned that I've lost about 40 lbs in the past half year or so. Actually, I'm at a weight that is close to what I was my senior year of high school, which is quite an accomplishment.  Apparently, losing that much weight only helps for the first 5K cause I really slowed down in that last mile. Still, that's a respectable pace if I say so myself. 

I knew it was going to be a hard one. All of my race day prep was centered on Saturday morning not Sunday. In fact my pre race dinner was steaks and beer while watching college football with friends on the patio instead of something light and heathy. All that considered I'm happy with my time!

So far this little challenge of doing a fun run a month sure has paid off. That only do I run faster and fun run but it sure is fun to run with so many people and just get lost in the sea of humanity. There had to be several thousand people at this race today and although that's not great for running it is fun to get lost in. I also love to watch people. So I'll just sit back and watch how people do different things. How they get ready for the race. How they warm-up. How they stretch how they strategize. For a student of human nature runs are fascinating. You can see who the introverts are and who the extroverts are. Additionally I've gotten to go to several places in Houston and outside of Houston which I never would've gone to if it hadn't been for this challenge so I'll told it sure has been fun and I look forward to more 

The only problem I see is that I post my race numbers with the time as well as the silly metals they give us at the end of the race on my study wall and I'm running out of room.

No comments: