The other day I told you about the conversations I’ve had with my boss. Ever wonder how long you could hang around a job if your boss keeps telling you he’s not impressed with the job you’re doing? Or that you have the weakest department? Well, I’m about to find out. So far we’re at about 6 months.
So, the other day he alluded to my future with the company. “I’d sure love to keep you here, but we need to talk about what that looks like at your next review.”
So, I’m wonder how to discuss this in my next review.
“Hey, so, last meeting you talked about the changing nature of my role here. Why don’t we discuss that. Tell me how you see my role here? Or would you rather hear my thoughts?”
If I intro with that, I better be ready with some thoughts!
I know he doesn’t like how I manage my department and develop my employees. I say it’s best to hit that straight on. “I know that my style of management isn’t a strength you see in me, so I’m wondering if a more supportive role might be better? A consultant role?”
I want to be ready with that “So, last time we chatted you discussed the changing nature of my role here, especially now that I have a PhD. Why don’t we discuss that a bit.”
Ah, see, hitting that underlying strength might be good. Reminding him a PhD brings some credibility.
UGH! Well, the review is only a week or so away. Plenty of time to rehearse.
So, I guess tha answer is a littl longer than 6 months.

No comments:
Post a Comment