Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Weakest Department

For the past few months, I've picked up some not-so-subtle signs that my boss and I don't get along as well as I might hope. Sadly, this is not a surprise. I've always thought my boss and I don't see eye-to-eye. It's little things mostly, but they've become bigger. 



How do I know they're bigger? When your boss starts saying, "This is the weakest department in the organization" well, that's a pretty big tell. 

The bigger problem . . . well, I don't think we are the weakest department. I am a results-oriented manager. I don't care how the job gets done as long as it gets done well and on time. Perfectly? No. Close to the deadline? No. Well, and on time. 

I look at my departments and I see a total 180 degrees in our training development. When I showed up it was horrible to see the courses. They were as good as any other councils. Now, my team has completely transformed both the eLearning courses and the instructor-led. 
  • Our premiere courses are the best in the industry and getting better. On par with other industries.
  • Our run-of-the-mill courses are the best in the industry and getting better each day. A total transformation from where we started.
  • Our instructor-led courses are the best in the industry. I've taken many of them. I know. 
  • We are developing more leadership courses and delivery more than ever before.

When I started my boss told me he wanted our training to be better than the best in the industry. He wanted to be untouchable. We are there. Is there still room to grow? Sure, but I'm proud of my departments, my managers and our people for the accomplishments they've had. 

So, how is it, if I see the world as I do above, that we can have the weakest department in the organization? 

I think my boss means in terms of personnel. I believe in promoting from within and allowing people to fill the gaps above them. Maybe this comes from Ranger Batt where we hated "imports". . . people from other units coming in and taking leadership positions. I think my boss was hoping that I would improve the departments by importing and recruiting more talent from outside. He could be right. It's his organization. He has every right to see it the way he wants. 

The problem now becomes,  . . . if I think we're doing well, and he thinks we're doing poorly, we are way out of alignment. I need to shift and I'm worried what that might mean. Hopefully, I can find a place at the council. 

I'm stunned that now, just a week away from finishing my PhD, a place where I wanted to be for four years, now that I'm here, my position is in greater turmoil than it was four years before. 

The good news is, my boss will want to keep me. I am about to finish the PhD he wanted me to get. Do I do a good job promoting the organization? Yep. I write articles, I make presentations, I impress the hell out of clients and members and owner, companies. Now, just a few weeks from being complete, the nature of my position is in doubt. But, I think the PhD gives me a pretty big trump card. 

The week after next, I'll be done with my defense (fingers crossed), and with my review will come some dicey questions and hopefully some satisfying answers.

No comments: