Thursday, November 25, 2021

Double Loop Learning and Strategic Planning

My colleague brought up something very interesting about strategic planning that I've been discussing lately. 

I think she brought up a very challenge that I saw with Schmidt and Biniecki (2016) on strategic planning, the lack of evaluation, re-evaluation, and the chance to adapt, adjust and overcome as needed. 

Like Jenna, I think a clear disadvantage is that the market could change immediately after a strategic plan is created and without the opportunity to adjust the organization could go down the wrong path. I think of the last two years. 

Immediately after Covid became a social issue, we were forced to scrap our strategic plan for the year and come up with responses to Covid that were both tactical and strategic, and kept us relevant and leading in the market. We did this not just because of Covid, but because we had a process of almost constant (twice a month) re-evaluation of our projects that supported the strategic plan. I agree with you that there needs to be more focus on this aspect of the strategic planning process. 

Like double loop learning where real-world feedback from the results of an organization’s decisions affects the next decision or forces a readjustment. This needs to be a part of the strategic planning process as well as it contributes so much to the success or failure of the plans that are created. 

References

Schmidt, S. W., and Yelich Biniecki, S. M. (2016). Organization and administration of adult education programs: A guide for practitioners. Information Age Publishing, Inc.


No comments: