Thursday, November 4, 2021

Not My Fave; But I Can Learn Something

Today's assignment was to provide one sentence reviews of a poets bio and writing. Her name is Anzaldua. Personally I find her a bit of a provocateur, and someone who is deliberately outrageous. But knowing that the question becomes, why is she. What is she trying to do by being so deliberately provocative.


One sentence I'm specifically thinking of is when she describes getting a hysterectomy at a young age and describes it as:

Last March my fibroids conspired with an intestinal tract infection and spawned watermelons in my uterus. The doctor played with is knife. La Chingada ripped open, raped with the white man's wand. 

I'm not a deliberately provactive person. If I was writing that I would have expressed it much differently . So then the question becomes, why? What's the purpose. My answers to the prompts are below:

In one sentence only, summarize what you believe to be the most salient and important points that Anzaldua is trying to make. 

Change, can't be stopped even when you want it to, or if it's detrimental to your journey; it is always present and never ceases. 

In one sentence only, state how you think the sentence you posted might relate to your potential research, or research you have been interested in.  

I need to understand that what I'm hoping to find through my research and what I might find may not be the same and may be detrimental to my work; but that's okay. 

No comments: